Saturday, March 8, 2014

E-cubed 0009: I'm gonna stock up on something

Daily Easy English Expression 0009: I’m gonna stock up on...



I’m gonna stock up on ~ = Tôi sẽ mua thật nhiều ~


Ví dụ:
A: What are you getting at the store?
B: I'm gonna stock up on water.
A: What about cookies?
B: Those, too!

A: Cậu sẽ mua gì ở cửa hàng thế?
B: Tôi sẽ mua thật nhiều nước.
A: Bánh cookies thì sao?
B: Cả chúng nữa!

Transcript

Hey, everybody. Today's E-cubed expression is pretty useful, especially if you are going to the grocery store, or the wholesale mart, or some big discount retailer. The expression is I'm gonna stock up on ~ I'm going to, we talked about that last week. I'm going to stock up on something.

So for example, I'm going to stock up on beer. Why can I only think of beer? Uh, another one, I'm going to stock up on bread. Why bread? I don't know. What do I buy? When I go to the store, what do I... Well, actually I'm going to stock up on frozen, oops, 'r', frozen veggies, frozen vegetables.

What does it mean? I'm gonna, I'm gonna, I'm gonna,  I'm gonna stock up on, stock up on, I'm gonna stock up on beer, I'm gonna stock up on bread, I'm gonna stock up on frozen vegetables. What does that mean? That means I'm going to buy a lot. I'm going to buy a lot. I'm going to stock up on something something something. I'm going to buy a lot of something. That's it.

So, it can be little things.

I'm going to stock up on candy.
I'm going to stock up on cigarettes.
I'm going to stock up on Cocacola.
I'm going to stock up on books.

I'm going to buy a lot of something. Ok? It's a pretty simple expression. The pronunciation again, I'm gonna, the most common, I'm gonna stock up on. I'm gonna stock up on... whatever. It's up to you. You make your own sentence. And now, you practice this next dialogue.

A: What are you getting at the store?
B: I'm gonna stock up on water.
A: What about cookies?
B: Those, too!

Oh, is the dialogue done already? Oh, sorry! I, I just went to the store. I'm gonna stock up on toilet paper because I... you never know I... I might need extra toilet paper. Yeah. See you tomorrow.

Chú ý:
grocery store (n) cửa hàng tạp hóa
wholesale mart (n) trung tâm buôn bán
big discount retailer (n) cửa hàng bán lẻ có chiết khấu lớn
I’m gonna = I’m going to: tôi sẽ làm gì đó
to stock up on something: mua thật nhiều thứ gì đó
frozen veggies = frozen vegetables: rau đông lạnh