Friday, September 4, 2015

E-cubed 828: Sticks and stones may break my bones



Today's E-cubed:  Sticks and stones may break my bones, but names will never harm me.!!

Chúng ta sử dụng expression này trong trường hợp khi ai đó nói xấu chúng ta, expression này mang ý nghĩa: Lời nói gió bay/Gậy gộc và đất đá có thể làm tôi đau, nhưng lời nói thì không thể làm tôi tổn thương được.

TRANSCRIPT:

Hello, everybody. Welcome back to daily easy English expression. Thank you very much for watching my videos. I love you. Oh, yes. Today's expression, it's actually a little bit similar to yesterday. Somebody asks me about the expression "sticks and stones." Yes. It's a great expression. And, there're two versions. In America, we say "Sticks and stones may break my bones, but names will never harm me." And there is another version "Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never harm me." So what it means is, sticks - that's a piece of wood from a tree. You know, that's the idea, broken part of a tree, sticks. And stones - rocks. Sticks and stones may. And in this case may means might. It's possible. Sticks and stones may break my bones. If you throw a stone at me. I could break my arm. If you hit me with a stick, I could break my arm. So sticks and stones might break my bones. But names, words will never harm me. Names, words will never hurt me. So if you call me an idiot, no problem. It doesn't bother me. Nah nah nah nah nah nah. Sticks and stones may break my bones, but names will never hurt me. Names will never harm me. It's what children say. It's what children are taught. Okay. And the idea, you know, Johny was teasing me. Daddy, daddy, daddy, Johny called me a bad word. Well, son. Don't worry. Sticks and stones might break your bones, but names will never harm you. Sticks and stones might break my bones, but names will never harm me. That's the idea, it's something we teach to kids. But I have a question, and I'll ask my question after you listen to the dialogue.

Oh my god~ Shane, you're so skinny and bald!
Let's call him "baldy bones"
Sticks and stones may break my bones...
Baldy, baldy, baldy bones~~
But names will never hurt me!

Whatever. You know, baldy bones. Baldy - losing my hair. Bones - too skinny. Yeah. You can say anything you want to me, but it's not going to hurt me. Sticks and stones may break my bones, but names, words, they will never, ever, ever hurt me. That's not true. Some people are really sad. Some people get really depressed. Some people cry. Sure. It's true.

So, if you have a little boy or a little girl, do you want your son or daughter to be like this "sticks and stones may break my bones, but names will never hurt me." Or do you want your son or daughter to do this "What? What did you say to me? What did you call me? Huh? Huh?" Would you like your son or daughter to start a fight? Lots of kids. You know. Not all kids. Of course. Not all kids, but many kids, many boys, may girls, they, they don't like other people calling them names. So they wanna fight them. What do you think? What do you think? So do you want to be passive? Nice? No fighting, no fighting. Or do you want to be aggressive? And puupp, and hit them. Think about your children. And what about you? I'm sure some of you like to fight. And, some of you never want to fight. But I think most of us are in the middle. Me, what about me. Well, to be honest, I want the options. I want to, I want to make the decision. Oh, this guy is calling me names. But he's much bigger than me. Well, sticks and stones may break my bones, but names will never hurt me. And I'll run away. But, some guys, what? You're calling me names? And you're a skinny guy? Shut up! I would like the options as a child. Now, I'm an adult. I don't care. Yeah, I don't care. Really. This is not my own business. Names will never hurt me. Uh yeah, as an adult I don't care. But as a child. I remember as a child, I was a small child. I was a little kid. And to be honest, there are guys that I wanted to just ... I wanted to. I really did. But those guys that I wanted to ... were bigger than me. And, and they were less intelligent. And I'm sorry. Sometimes, less intelligent people, when you hit them, they're so unintelligent. They don't feel the pain. And they keep fighting. So you could be hitting them, and kicking them, and kneeing them in their face. And they keep coming. That's dangerous. Because that person doesn't stop kicking, hiting to. Be careful. If I had a son, what would I do? I would encourage him to be passive. But, son, sometimes the hand, it's mightier than the pen. That's not just me. That's same thing with the daughter. If I have a daughter, I teach her, I teach her how to kick so hard. Kick, kick like a, kick like Beckham. I don't know. Beckham kicks hard.

That's it. That's today's expression. I'm curious about your opinion. What about you? You as a child, did you always want to be passive? Did you sometimes want to be aggressive or were you always aggressive? What's the situation. Did you get into a fight? I wanna know. I wanna know your dirty dark secrets. Actually I don't want to know your dirty dark secret. I just want to know what you think about this. Sticks and stones may break my bones, but names will never harm me. It's a child, children's poem. Pretty much American know it. So you should, too. Thank you very much. Have a great day. Check out the dialogue three more times. And I'll see you tomorrow.